It’s “Wild Kingdom’s” version of the “Odd Couple.”
Two wild predators are finding they can’t live without each other at a wild animal sanctuary in northwest Arizona.
He is Anthony the lion, she is Riley the coyote. Both were less than five weeks old when they were rescued nearly two years ago by the Keepers of the Wild animal sanctuary in Valentine, near Kingman.
The two animals were recently featured in a PBS nature special called “Animal Odd Couples.” They are about to be featured on a Canadian Kids TV show called “Toc Toc Toc,” and in an upcoming film about animal sanctuaries.
“Since they were both very, very small and we really couldn’t put them in a habitat, we kind of raised them in our house, which is located in the middle of our sanctuary,” said Jonathan Kraft, the sanctuary’s founder. “They stayed in the house for about three months and really bonded with each other.”
The sanctuary tried to separate the two. It didn’t work.
“He (the lion) would go absolutely crazy, almost hurting himself,” Kraft said. “The coyote was going absolutely crazy and howl all day and all night. They have been absolutely inseparable since.”
Now they live together in a large natural habitat. Kraft said Riley appears to have no interest in any of the coyotes that she can hear howling nearby.
There is another lion in the next habitat. When it comes to the fence, Riley the coyote stands between Anthony and the other lion, and appears to be defending Anthony.
Anthony is 350 pounds, while Riley weighs in at about 25. But that doesn’t seem to matter.
“They play with each other all day,” Kraft said. “If you’re looking for one, just look for the other, and you’ll find them within five six, seven feet from each other. They sleep together, they chase each other. When we give them little snacks, she steals the food right out of his mouth.”
Kraft said the lion has never hurt the coyote, and, in fact, Riley is the one who is in control. He said that because the coyote has been around cats all of her life, he has speculated that she may think she is a cat.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier