It’s “Wild Kingdom’s” version of the “Odd Couple.”
Two wild predators are finding they can’t live without each other at a wild animal sanctuary in northwest Arizona.
He is Anthony the lion, she is Riley the coyote. Both were less than five weeks old when they were rescued nearly two years ago by the Keepers of the Wild animal sanctuary in Valentine, near Kingman.
The two animals were recently featured in a PBS nature special called “Animal Odd Couples.” They are about to be featured on a Canadian Kids TV show called “Toc Toc Toc,” and in an upcoming film about animal sanctuaries.
“Since they were both very, very small and we really couldn’t put them in a habitat, we kind of raised them in our house, which is located in the middle of our sanctuary,” said Jonathan Kraft, the sanctuary’s founder. “They stayed in the house for about three months and really bonded with each other.”
The sanctuary tried to separate the two. It didn’t work.
“He (the lion) would go absolutely crazy, almost hurting himself,” Kraft said. “The coyote was going absolutely crazy and howl all day and all night. They have been absolutely inseparable since.”
Now they live together in a large natural habitat. Kraft said Riley appears to have no interest in any of the coyotes that she can hear howling nearby.
There is another lion in the next habitat. When it comes to the fence, Riley the coyote stands between Anthony and the other lion, and appears to be defending Anthony.
Anthony is 350 pounds, while Riley weighs in at about 25. But that doesn’t seem to matter.
“They play with each other all day,” Kraft said. “If you’re looking for one, just look for the other, and you’ll find them within five six, seven feet from each other. They sleep together, they chase each other. When we give them little snacks, she steals the food right out of his mouth.”
Kraft said the lion has never hurt the coyote, and, in fact, Riley is the one who is in control. He said that because the coyote has been around cats all of her life, he has speculated that she may think she is a cat.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food