As Arizona State University students prepare for a tobacco-free campus next August, a group of students is hoping to stop it.
According to a statement from Students for Liberty, groups from across the Valley, including ASU and Scottsdale Community College, will gather at the main campus student union for the Smoking Ban Protest/Anti-Nanny event.
“We believe we should be treated like adults and not be babied or nannied by the administration or in this case, it’s the Senate for the school that passed this measure with very little student input,” said Carlos Alfaro with Students for Liberty.
Alfaro said he understands the dangers of smoking, but the almost unilateral decision has ripped away students’ rights to make their own choices.
The group is asking that smoking areas remain on all campuses.
Protesters will be handing out free cigarettes as part of the protest.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development