As Arizona State University students prepare for a tobacco-free campus next August, a group of students is hoping to stop it.
According to a statement from Students for Liberty, groups from across the Valley, including ASU and Scottsdale Community College, will gather at the main campus student union for the Smoking Ban Protest/Anti-Nanny event.
“We believe we should be treated like adults and not be babied or nannied by the administration or in this case, it’s the Senate for the school that passed this measure with very little student input,” said Carlos Alfaro with Students for Liberty.
Alfaro said he understands the dangers of smoking, but the almost unilateral decision has ripped away students’ rights to make their own choices.
The group is asking that smoking areas remain on all campuses.
Protesters will be handing out free cigarettes as part of the protest.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns