As Arizona State University students prepare for a tobacco-free campus next August, a group of students is hoping to stop it.
According to a statement from Students for Liberty, groups from across the Valley, including ASU and Scottsdale Community College, will gather at the main campus student union for the Smoking Ban Protest/Anti-Nanny event.
“We believe we should be treated like adults and not be babied or nannied by the administration or in this case, it’s the Senate for the school that passed this measure with very little student input,” said Carlos Alfaro with Students for Liberty.
Alfaro said he understands the dangers of smoking, but the almost unilateral decision has ripped away students’ rights to make their own choices.
The group is asking that smoking areas remain on all campuses.
Protesters will be handing out free cigarettes as part of the protest.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night