As Arizona State University students prepare for a tobacco-free campus next August, a group of students is hoping to stop it.
According to a statement from Students for Liberty, groups from across the Valley, including ASU and Scottsdale Community College, will gather at the main campus student union for the Smoking Ban Protest/Anti-Nanny event.
“We believe we should be treated like adults and not be babied or nannied by the administration or in this case, it’s the Senate for the school that passed this measure with very little student input,” said Carlos Alfaro with Students for Liberty.
Alfaro said he understands the dangers of smoking, but the almost unilateral decision has ripped away students’ rights to make their own choices.
The group is asking that smoking areas remain on all campuses.
Protesters will be handing out free cigarettes as part of the protest.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof