PHOENIX — More than a month away from Christmas investors are anxiously hoping that Santa comes for a visit and Congress isn’t Scrooge.
A Santa Claus Rally is a surge in stock prices that often occurs during the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. KTAR’s Smart Investor Wayne Stutzer said it has been a good predictor of the market’s performance in January and the year ahead.
“It has worked more times than not,” he said. “As January goes, so goes the year. If you think that’s going to happen you start buying ahead of that time.”
But this year there’s a twist, known as the fiscal cliff, and Congress could put a stop to the rally.
“You may see more selling than buying so we may not get the typical rally. We may get coal this year,” said Stutzer.
Stutzer said he’s hopeful Congress and the president can hammer out an agreement that keeps the nation from going off the fiscal cliff.
“The best Santa Rally would be if Congress does do something positive.”
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains