PHOENIX — More than a month away from Christmas investors are anxiously hoping that Santa comes for a visit and Congress isn’t Scrooge.
A Santa Claus Rally is a surge in stock prices that often occurs during the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. KTAR’s Smart Investor Wayne Stutzer said it has been a good predictor of the market’s performance in January and the year ahead.
“It has worked more times than not,” he said. “As January goes, so goes the year. If you think that’s going to happen you start buying ahead of that time.”
But this year there’s a twist, known as the fiscal cliff, and Congress could put a stop to the rally.
“You may see more selling than buying so we may not get the typical rally. We may get coal this year,” said Stutzer.
Stutzer said he’s hopeful Congress and the president can hammer out an agreement that keeps the nation from going off the fiscal cliff.
“The best Santa Rally would be if Congress does do something positive.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments