PHOENIX — More than a month away from Christmas investors are anxiously hoping that Santa comes for a visit and Congress isn’t Scrooge.
A Santa Claus Rally is a surge in stock prices that often occurs during the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. KTAR’s Smart Investor Wayne Stutzer said it has been a good predictor of the market’s performance in January and the year ahead.
“It has worked more times than not,” he said. “As January goes, so goes the year. If you think that’s going to happen you start buying ahead of that time.”
But this year there’s a twist, known as the fiscal cliff, and Congress could put a stop to the rally.
“You may see more selling than buying so we may not get the typical rally. We may get coal this year,” said Stutzer.
Stutzer said he’s hopeful Congress and the president can hammer out an agreement that keeps the nation from going off the fiscal cliff.
“The best Santa Rally would be if Congress does do something positive.”
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl