PHOENIX — More than a month away from Christmas investors are anxiously hoping that Santa comes for a visit and Congress isn’t Scrooge.
A Santa Claus Rally is a surge in stock prices that often occurs during the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. KTAR’s Smart Investor Wayne Stutzer said it has been a good predictor of the market’s performance in January and the year ahead.
“It has worked more times than not,” he said. “As January goes, so goes the year. If you think that’s going to happen you start buying ahead of that time.”
But this year there’s a twist, known as the fiscal cliff, and Congress could put a stop to the rally.
“You may see more selling than buying so we may not get the typical rally. We may get coal this year,” said Stutzer.
Stutzer said he’s hopeful Congress and the president can hammer out an agreement that keeps the nation from going off the fiscal cliff.
“The best Santa Rally would be if Congress does do something positive.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon