Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer proclaimed Tuesday as Phoenix Rescue Mission Day in honor of the charity’s 60th anniversary.
“Thank you all for your tireless commitment to ending hunger and homelessness by transforming lives and mobilizing the community,” Brewer said in front of a crowd of several hundred at the mission, located near 35th Ave. and Durango.
The mission provided shelter and served over 288,000 meals to homeless men, women and children last year.
“It is that spirit of service that allows us to continue to provide food, shelter and comfort for the needy,” Brewer said.
Brewer received a blanket from 9-year-old Ethan Jewell, who started a drive that’s collected and donated over 700 blankets to the mission since 2010.
“I’m starting another one this year with my brother and sister’s help,” said Jewell.
Jewell’s goal is to donate 400 blankets this year. Upon hearing that, Brewer exclaimed “Food and a blanket, it doesn’t get any better than that!”
The Phoenix Rescue Mission opened in 1952 on the site where Chase Field now stands.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever