Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer proclaimed Tuesday as Phoenix Rescue Mission Day in honor of the charity’s 60th anniversary.
“Thank you all for your tireless commitment to ending hunger and homelessness by transforming lives and mobilizing the community,” Brewer said in front of a crowd of several hundred at the mission, located near 35th Ave. and Durango.
The mission provided shelter and served over 288,000 meals to homeless men, women and children last year.
“It is that spirit of service that allows us to continue to provide food, shelter and comfort for the needy,” Brewer said.
Brewer received a blanket from 9-year-old Ethan Jewell, who started a drive that’s collected and donated over 700 blankets to the mission since 2010.
“I’m starting another one this year with my brother and sister’s help,” said Jewell.
Jewell’s goal is to donate 400 blankets this year. Upon hearing that, Brewer exclaimed “Food and a blanket, it doesn’t get any better than that!”
The Phoenix Rescue Mission opened in 1952 on the site where Chase Field now stands.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas