Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer proclaimed Tuesday as Phoenix Rescue Mission Day in honor of the charity’s 60th anniversary.
“Thank you all for your tireless commitment to ending hunger and homelessness by transforming lives and mobilizing the community,” Brewer said in front of a crowd of several hundred at the mission, located near 35th Ave. and Durango.
The mission provided shelter and served over 288,000 meals to homeless men, women and children last year.
“It is that spirit of service that allows us to continue to provide food, shelter and comfort for the needy,” Brewer said.
Brewer received a blanket from 9-year-old Ethan Jewell, who started a drive that’s collected and donated over 700 blankets to the mission since 2010.
“I’m starting another one this year with my brother and sister’s help,” said Jewell.
Jewell’s goal is to donate 400 blankets this year. Upon hearing that, Brewer exclaimed “Food and a blanket, it doesn’t get any better than that!”
The Phoenix Rescue Mission opened in 1952 on the site where Chase Field now stands.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night