PHOENIX — Valley economist Elliott Pollack said a merger between US Airways and American Airlines will lead to job reductions in the Valley but the extent of those losses isn’t known yet.
US Air employs just over 9,200, making it the ninth-largest private employer in the state. Jobs connected to the airline brings the total employment impact to 24,515.
Pollack said the airline has approximately 2,000 jobs at its Tempe corporate headquarters. If the state loses those jobs the total impact would be 5,300 jobs when including jobs created by businesses that provide goods and services to US Airways, said the economic consultant.
“State revenues would drop by $11.4 million. County and local revenues would drop by a combined $9.5 million,” he said.
Pollack made it clear that numbers surrounding a possible reduction in flight operations, i.e. moving the hub out of Sky Harbor, are speculative but he offered one scenario.
“If flight activity is reduced about 4,600 jobs (includes indirect jobs serving the airline) would be lost and state, county and local tax revenues would drop by almost $18.5 million.”
Liz Landau, a spokeswoman with US Air, said the company cannot comment on any potential merger, but she said the airline
recently signed a five-year lease on corporate headquarters in Tempe. A hub will be maintained in the Valley.
The Tempe headquarters have 750 corporate employees.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier