For some people, holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas add to their anxiety.
More than 19 million Americans suffer from SAD or Seasonal Affective Disorder. SAD is the most common anxiety disorder in the United States and can be induced by the changing seasons.
For many people, symptoms of SAD start when fall arrives and usually last until April or May.
“With holidays, people tend to feel that they have to be perfectionistic,” said Dr. Sanford Silverman. “Things have to work out perfectly. Holiday dinners, planning, being at every party or meeting everyone’s demands. That in itself causes stress.”
Silverman said people with anxiety try to cope by self medicating through alcohol or eating poorly. He said good sleep patterns, eating healthy, exercising and proper breathing are better ways to deal with anxiety.
“You’re going to see family members and see people you may have some difficulties with,” said Silverman. “Try to bury the hatchet and try to realize that its a time of year when you want to let these things not upset you and realize not everyone is perfect.”
Silverman said when family stress builds to take a deep breath and try to relax.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths