PHOENIX — Voters in Colorado and Washington have approved the use of recreational marijuana, but the director of an Arizona anti-drug group said it would be a mistake to invoke a similar law.
The age-old argument for legalizing marijuana has been that, since people will continue to smoke pot, the state might as well tax it and make money off of it. Shelly Mowery with Drug Free AZ said that is shortsighted thinking.
“When you look at the impacts that marijuana use causes, the tax would pale in comparison to the health care costs and costs of auto crashes connected with impaired driving,” she said.
Mowery is unaware of any efforts under way at this time to push to legalize recreational marijuana use in Arizona.
Mowery is not sure if the voter-approved use of marijuana in Colorado and Washington state will hold up in court. Federal law prohibits the use of marijuana and federal laws override those created by state and local governments.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again