FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — The Flagstaff ski season will be a little less dependent on Mother Nature this year.
The Arizona Snowbowl Resort began using its new snow-making machine on Tuesday.
Spokesman David Smith said the resort is expecting a packed ski season, in part because of the new equipment.
“It’s going to be a boom to the Flagstaff economy,” he said. “Everyone’s going to know that we’re going to have a reliable product year in and year out.
“It’s going to be an exciting season with above-average snowfall predicted and it’s very exciting because this is actually our 75th anniversary season.”
Smith also said weather conditions have to be just right for snow-making.
“You have to look at what the outside air temperature is, what the relative humidity is, what the wet bulb temperature is, so there are alot of different variables you have to look at to see when you’re able to produce snow.”
The resort spent about $12 million on the equipment.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night