With the holidays coming up and big-screen televisions on many wish lists, Phoenix-area safety experts advise parents to secure TVs and furniture that could tip over and harm children.
According to the injury prevention center at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, tipped-over televisions hurt more than 22,000 children a year, with 245 yearly deaths of children under 6.
Last month, a 5-year-old Phoenix boy died from injures suffered when a large TV fell on him.
“The holidays are coming and between holiday sales and visitors, many homes have new furniture or television, with small children presents,” said injury prevention center spokeswoman Angelica Baker in a statement.
A tipped-over television and dresser took the life of Brayden Lee Rodgers, of Surprise, on the last day of 2011.
“As the holdiays approach, all I can think of is what I’d be doing with him right now — getting ready for Christmas, getting ready to spend time with our family,” said Brayden’s mother, Heather Poole.
“I don’t get to do that this year.”
Child-proofing in a home should include:
• Anchoring furniture — bookcases, dressers, entertainment — to the wall with brackets to prevent tipping over
• Placing TVs on low, sturdy furniture, not on dressers or shelves
• Pushing TVs as far back from the edge of their stand as possible
• Placing items of interest to children far out of reach
For more information click here
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon