With the holidays coming up and big-screen televisions on many wish lists, Phoenix-area safety experts advise parents to secure TVs and furniture that could tip over and harm children.
According to the injury prevention center at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, tipped-over televisions hurt more than 22,000 children a year, with 245 yearly deaths of children under 6.
Last month, a 5-year-old Phoenix boy died from injures suffered when a large TV fell on him.
“The holidays are coming and between holiday sales and visitors, many homes have new furniture or television, with small children presents,” said injury prevention center spokeswoman Angelica Baker in a statement.
A tipped-over television and dresser took the life of Brayden Lee Rodgers, of Surprise, on the last day of 2011.
“As the holdiays approach, all I can think of is what I’d be doing with him right now — getting ready for Christmas, getting ready to spend time with our family,” said Brayden’s mother, Heather Poole.
“I don’t get to do that this year.”
Child-proofing in a home should include:
• Anchoring furniture — bookcases, dressers, entertainment — to the wall with brackets to prevent tipping over
• Placing TVs on low, sturdy furniture, not on dressers or shelves
• Pushing TVs as far back from the edge of their stand as possible
• Placing items of interest to children far out of reach
For more information click here
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.