A young girl from the East Valley is recovering after being bitten by a rabid bat.
Maricopa County Public Health told 92.3 KTAR it is the first confirmation of a rabid bat in the county this year. In 2011, five rabid animals were reported in the county.
The girl stuck her hand in a bush and the bat sunk its teeth into her, then jumped into her palm. She is expected to recover after treatment.
According to the Mayo Clinic online, that consists of a series of injections.
“When I got that call from the Arizona State Laboratory that the bat was positive for rabies, all I could think of was my own child and how important it is for parents to tell their children not to touch bats,” said county public health Dr. Rebecca Sunenshine.
She recommended keeping pets and people away from wild animals, especially those showing strange behavior.
“Especially if they’re on the ground, or a pet has caught them or in a swimming pool,” Sunenshine said.
She also advised not picking up bats that are on the ground — note the location and call animal control.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas