A young girl from the East Valley is recovering after being bitten by a rabid bat.
Maricopa County Public Health told 92.3 KTAR it is the first confirmation of a rabid bat in the county this year. In 2011, five rabid animals were reported in the county.
The girl stuck her hand in a bush and the bat sunk its teeth into her, then jumped into her palm. She is expected to recover after treatment.
According to the Mayo Clinic online, that consists of a series of injections.
“When I got that call from the Arizona State Laboratory that the bat was positive for rabies, all I could think of was my own child and how important it is for parents to tell their children not to touch bats,” said county public health Dr. Rebecca Sunenshine.
She recommended keeping pets and people away from wild animals, especially those showing strange behavior.
“Especially if they’re on the ground, or a pet has caught them or in a swimming pool,” Sunenshine said.
She also advised not picking up bats that are on the ground — note the location and call animal control.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets