A young girl from the East Valley is recovering after being bitten by a rabid bat.
Maricopa County Public Health told 92.3 KTAR it is the first confirmation of a rabid bat in the county this year. In 2011, five rabid animals were reported in the county.
The girl stuck her hand in a bush and the bat sunk its teeth into her, then jumped into her palm. She is expected to recover after treatment.
According to the Mayo Clinic online, that consists of a series of injections.
“When I got that call from the Arizona State Laboratory that the bat was positive for rabies, all I could think of was my own child and how important it is for parents to tell their children not to touch bats,” said county public health Dr. Rebecca Sunenshine.
She recommended keeping pets and people away from wild animals, especially those showing strange behavior.
“Especially if they’re on the ground, or a pet has caught them or in a swimming pool,” Sunenshine said.
She also advised not picking up bats that are on the ground — note the location and call animal control.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona