PHOENIX — America hasn’t had a true blowout in a presidential election in almost three decades.
Bruce Merrill with Arizona State University said landslide victories are determined by the candidates’ charisma.
“Will somebody like Ronald Reagan emerge again? That’s the question,” he said. “Somebody dynamic could capture the fancy of the American people and then you could have a blowout.”
Merrill said presidential elections are being decided by almost the same states every four years, states with the electoral votes that make or break a White House run. This year it was Florida, Ohio, Virginia and a handful of others.
“The emphasis on the Electoral College is taking the campaign away from the majority of people living in the United States, but I don’t see any chance of the Electoral College changing. It would take a Constitutional amendment,” he said.
In 1984, Ronald Reagan had 59 percent of the popular vote and 525 electoral votes, compared with Walter Mondale’s 41 percent of the popular vote and 13 electoral votes.
For comparison, in the 2012 presidential race, President Obama captured 332 electoral votes and 50 percent of the popular vote. Republican challenger Mitt Romney had 206 electoral votes and 48 percent of the popular vote.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them