PHOENIX — America hasn’t had a true blowout in a presidential election in almost three decades.
Bruce Merrill with Arizona State University said landslide victories are determined by the candidates’ charisma.
“Will somebody like Ronald Reagan emerge again? That’s the question,” he said. “Somebody dynamic could capture the fancy of the American people and then you could have a blowout.”
Merrill said presidential elections are being decided by almost the same states every four years, states with the electoral votes that make or break a White House run. This year it was Florida, Ohio, Virginia and a handful of others.
“The emphasis on the Electoral College is taking the campaign away from the majority of people living in the United States, but I don’t see any chance of the Electoral College changing. It would take a Constitutional amendment,” he said.
In 1984, Ronald Reagan had 59 percent of the popular vote and 525 electoral votes, compared with Walter Mondale’s 41 percent of the popular vote and 13 electoral votes.
For comparison, in the 2012 presidential race, President Obama captured 332 electoral votes and 50 percent of the popular vote. Republican challenger Mitt Romney had 206 electoral votes and 48 percent of the popular vote.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona