PHOENIX — A new tax in California could force some companies to move and a Phoenix economic group is looking to take advantage.
Californians passed a $6 billion tax increase that raises income taxes on those making more than $250,000 yearly and the state sales tax for all residents.
Barry Broome with the Greater Phoenix Economic Council is offering 50 of California’s top CEOs a free plane trip to Phoenix and accommodations to check out the possibilities of moving their operations here.
“This tax is the most dangerous tax in the history of California,” he said. “Top innovators are going to flee the state. This isn’t about call centers or manufacturing centers. This is about going after the elite talent and getting them to consider greater Phoenix.”
Broome said he’s not usually a fan of poaching California businesses but in this case he’s willing to make an exception.
“This tax is going to put a nail in California’s coffin,” he said, adding that overall Arizona needs its neighbor to the west to turn around its economy.
Broome said one of the nation’s top 15 CEOs has already taken up his offer to check out the Valley, but he can’t reveal the name.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise