Crossroads Park in Gilbert was a sea of pink Friday morning, as thousands of people, mostly women, gathered for the Susan G Komen 3-Day, a 60-mile walk around the East Valley.
Every participant’s life had been changed one way or another by breast cancer. Brenda Fox is marching for her mother, who she lost when she was 14.
I grew up with her … going through treatment and this is before there was a lot of awareness,” Fox said.
“A few years ago I decided I really wanted to do something to try to help so nobody would have to go through what I went through.”
Each walker must raise $2,300 to participate. The proceeds go towards the Komen foundation and the fight to find a cure for cancer.
Margaret Kunze is one of the survivors who is walking in the weekend event.
“It’s a very emotional fight because when you first hear the news you’ll whole life is shattered,” Kunze said.
“But then with all the support of my friends and family it’s been amazing so now I feel very positive.”
Friday’s walk will take the men and women in pink 20 miles from Gilbert to Chandler to Tempe. The three-day walk will end with a closing ceremony Sunday at Scottsdale Stadium.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night