Crossroads Park in Gilbert was a sea of pink Friday morning, as thousands of people, mostly women, gathered for the Susan G Komen 3-Day, a 60-mile walk around the East Valley.
Every participant’s life had been changed one way or another by breast cancer. Brenda Fox is marching for her mother, who she lost when she was 14.
I grew up with her … going through treatment and this is before there was a lot of awareness,” Fox said.
“A few years ago I decided I really wanted to do something to try to help so nobody would have to go through what I went through.”
Each walker must raise $2,300 to participate. The proceeds go towards the Komen foundation and the fight to find a cure for cancer.
Margaret Kunze is one of the survivors who is walking in the weekend event.
“It’s a very emotional fight because when you first hear the news you’ll whole life is shattered,” Kunze said.
“But then with all the support of my friends and family it’s been amazing so now I feel very positive.”
Friday’s walk will take the men and women in pink 20 miles from Gilbert to Chandler to Tempe. The three-day walk will end with a closing ceremony Sunday at Scottsdale Stadium.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon