Crossroads Park in Gilbert was a sea of pink Friday morning, as thousands of people, mostly women, gathered for the Susan G Komen 3-Day, a 60-mile walk around the East Valley.
Every participant’s life had been changed one way or another by breast cancer. Brenda Fox is marching for her mother, who she lost when she was 14.
I grew up with her … going through treatment and this is before there was a lot of awareness,” Fox said.
“A few years ago I decided I really wanted to do something to try to help so nobody would have to go through what I went through.”
Each walker must raise $2,300 to participate. The proceeds go towards the Komen foundation and the fight to find a cure for cancer.
Margaret Kunze is one of the survivors who is walking in the weekend event.
“It’s a very emotional fight because when you first hear the news you’ll whole life is shattered,” Kunze said.
“But then with all the support of my friends and family it’s been amazing so now I feel very positive.”
Friday’s walk will take the men and women in pink 20 miles from Gilbert to Chandler to Tempe. The three-day walk will end with a closing ceremony Sunday at Scottsdale Stadium.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever