PHOENIX — A big weather cooldown is moving into Arizona, with temperatures expected to drop into the 40s.
“It’s going to be cold. We usually don’t see these types of temperatures until late December,” said Charlotte Dewey, a spokeswoman for the National Weather Service.
Weather watchers said earlier this week Valley temperatures would plummet by the weekend.
The cold front will pass through the Valley late Friday afternoon but it won’t bring much rain. There will be wind, though, with gusts around 35 mph in the afternoon. Much stronger winds will push through the northern part of Arizona with gusts of 50 plus.
Saturday’s high will be around 60.
The low Sunday morning will be around 40 in some locations.
The high country will “definitely get snow and cold temperatures,” Dewey said.
Lows in Flagstaff and Show Low will be in the teens over the weekend.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night