On the horrific day of the Tucson shooting, Daniel Hernandez rushed to former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Gifford’s side and rendered first aid.
He’s credited with saving her life. After nearly two years of trying to process what happened that day, the sentencing of shooter Jared Loughner doesn’t bring closure to the many who were there, including Hernandez.
“I don’t think ‘closure’ is the right word,” he said. “It’s the same word said by Judge Burns, which was, this is a resolution of a 22-month chapter. I don’t think any of us will completely have closure for what’s happened because we lost six people and 13 others were injured.”
Two sisters who lost their beloved mother, Phyllis Schneck, shared the sentiment. Their 79-year-old mom went to the event, hoping to have the opportunity to shake Gifford’s hand. She was killed in a hail of bullets, leaving her children in a lot of pain.
“I’m grieving, this has been a very hard process,” said daughter Phyllis Schneck-Routenberg.
Although she is pleased with the plea agreement and sentence, it doesn’t bring closure, she said.
“It’s another chapter in this story. The story is not over and hopefully for us, it closes the Jared Loughner chapter and that we can move on,” said Schneck-Routenberg.
Loughner was sentenced to seven consecutive life sentences, plus 140 years in federal prison for the rampage.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development