On the horrific day of the Tucson shooting, Daniel Hernandez rushed to former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Gifford’s side and rendered first aid.
He’s credited with saving her life. After nearly two years of trying to process what happened that day, the sentencing of shooter Jared Loughner doesn’t bring closure to the many who were there, including Hernandez.
“I don’t think ‘closure’ is the right word,” he said. “It’s the same word said by Judge Burns, which was, this is a resolution of a 22-month chapter. I don’t think any of us will completely have closure for what’s happened because we lost six people and 13 others were injured.”
Two sisters who lost their beloved mother, Phyllis Schneck, shared the sentiment. Their 79-year-old mom went to the event, hoping to have the opportunity to shake Gifford’s hand. She was killed in a hail of bullets, leaving her children in a lot of pain.
“I’m grieving, this has been a very hard process,” said daughter Phyllis Schneck-Routenberg.
Although she is pleased with the plea agreement and sentence, it doesn’t bring closure, she said.
“It’s another chapter in this story. The story is not over and hopefully for us, it closes the Jared Loughner chapter and that we can move on,” said Schneck-Routenberg.
Loughner was sentenced to seven consecutive life sentences, plus 140 years in federal prison for the rampage.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.