On the horrific day of the Tucson shooting, Daniel Hernandez rushed to former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Gifford’s side and rendered first aid.
He’s credited with saving her life. After nearly two years of trying to process what happened that day, the sentencing of shooter Jared Loughner doesn’t bring closure to the many who were there, including Hernandez.
“I don’t think ‘closure’ is the right word,” he said. “It’s the same word said by Judge Burns, which was, this is a resolution of a 22-month chapter. I don’t think any of us will completely have closure for what’s happened because we lost six people and 13 others were injured.”
Two sisters who lost their beloved mother, Phyllis Schneck, shared the sentiment. Their 79-year-old mom went to the event, hoping to have the opportunity to shake Gifford’s hand. She was killed in a hail of bullets, leaving her children in a lot of pain.
“I’m grieving, this has been a very hard process,” said daughter Phyllis Schneck-Routenberg.
Although she is pleased with the plea agreement and sentence, it doesn’t bring closure, she said.
“It’s another chapter in this story. The story is not over and hopefully for us, it closes the Jared Loughner chapter and that we can move on,” said Schneck-Routenberg.
Loughner was sentenced to seven consecutive life sentences, plus 140 years in federal prison for the rampage.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever