Our nation’s next president wasn’t the only thing elected last night.
So was $10.9 billion in local-government debt.
Voters in the U.S. passed at least $10.9 billion in local government bond issuances, according to Bloomberg. There was $37 billion in borrowings up for vote yesterday, which is 45-percent less than in 2008.
“There is a reluctance to commit to new ongoing spending given the uncertainty of revenue,” Tracy Gordon, a state and local-finance economist with The Brookings Institution, told Bloomberg. “Similarly, there is a hesitancy on the part of voters to incur debt when they are still recovering from the recession.”
Some of the projects approved by voters include $642 million in funding for sewer improvements in Dallas and $1.3 billion in highway construction in Arkansas, according to Bloomberg.
About 63 percent of the $307 billion in debt issued since Oct. 25 has been to refund higher-cost debt.
“That trend is going to continue as voters across the country continue to feel the need to keep debt at a low level,” John Loffredo, co-head of MacKay Municipal Managers in Princeton, New Jersey, told Bloomberg.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier