Thirteen suspected illegal immigrants were arrested in two separate incidents and 120 lbs. of marijuana was also seized, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
In the first incident, deputies initiated a traffic stop about 7:00 p.m. Wednesday near Pioneer Rd. on Interstate 17. When the suspect vehicle came to a stop, between eight and 10 individuals jumped out of the vehicle and ran into a nearby neighborhood.
Three suspects were immediately detained with the aid of a helicopter. The others were not located until the following morning, when deputies received information that the suspects were at a Circle K near Daisy Mountain Rd and I-17.
When deputies arrived, a short foot chase ensued and six more suspects were arrested.
When interviewed, all nine men said they paid between $2,000 and $3,000 each to be smuggled to Los Angeles.
In the second incident, deputies spotted four men allegedly loading marijuana into the back of a red car.
When they approached the vehicle, four men fled into the desert and the car sped off. Both passengers jumped out a short distance away and also fled into the desert.
Four suspects were arrested and about 120 lbs. of marijuana were seized from the vehicle.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again