Thirteen suspected illegal immigrants were arrested in two separate incidents and 120 lbs. of marijuana was also seized, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
In the first incident, deputies initiated a traffic stop about 7:00 p.m. Wednesday near Pioneer Rd. on Interstate 17. When the suspect vehicle came to a stop, between eight and 10 individuals jumped out of the vehicle and ran into a nearby neighborhood.
Three suspects were immediately detained with the aid of a helicopter. The others were not located until the following morning, when deputies received information that the suspects were at a Circle K near Daisy Mountain Rd and I-17.
When deputies arrived, a short foot chase ensued and six more suspects were arrested.
When interviewed, all nine men said they paid between $2,000 and $3,000 each to be smuggled to Los Angeles.
In the second incident, deputies spotted four men allegedly loading marijuana into the back of a red car.
When they approached the vehicle, four men fled into the desert and the car sped off. Both passengers jumped out a short distance away and also fled into the desert.
Four suspects were arrested and about 120 lbs. of marijuana were seized from the vehicle.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night