Thirteen suspected illegal immigrants were arrested in two separate incidents and 120 lbs. of marijuana was also seized, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
In the first incident, deputies initiated a traffic stop about 7:00 p.m. Wednesday near Pioneer Rd. on Interstate 17. When the suspect vehicle came to a stop, between eight and 10 individuals jumped out of the vehicle and ran into a nearby neighborhood.
Three suspects were immediately detained with the aid of a helicopter. The others were not located until the following morning, when deputies received information that the suspects were at a Circle K near Daisy Mountain Rd and I-17.
When deputies arrived, a short foot chase ensued and six more suspects were arrested.
When interviewed, all nine men said they paid between $2,000 and $3,000 each to be smuggled to Los Angeles.
In the second incident, deputies spotted four men allegedly loading marijuana into the back of a red car.
When they approached the vehicle, four men fled into the desert and the car sped off. Both passengers jumped out a short distance away and also fled into the desert.
Four suspects were arrested and about 120 lbs. of marijuana were seized from the vehicle.
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past