Thirteen suspected illegal immigrants were arrested in two separate incidents and 120 lbs. of marijuana was also seized, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
In the first incident, deputies initiated a traffic stop about 7:00 p.m. Wednesday near Pioneer Rd. on Interstate 17. When the suspect vehicle came to a stop, between eight and 10 individuals jumped out of the vehicle and ran into a nearby neighborhood.
Three suspects were immediately detained with the aid of a helicopter. The others were not located until the following morning, when deputies received information that the suspects were at a Circle K near Daisy Mountain Rd and I-17.
When deputies arrived, a short foot chase ensued and six more suspects were arrested.
When interviewed, all nine men said they paid between $2,000 and $3,000 each to be smuggled to Los Angeles.
In the second incident, deputies spotted four men allegedly loading marijuana into the back of a red car.
When they approached the vehicle, four men fled into the desert and the car sped off. Both passengers jumped out a short distance away and also fled into the desert.
Four suspects were arrested and about 120 lbs. of marijuana were seized from the vehicle.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match