Crews from Valley utility companies APS and SRP are somewhat out of their element, fixing power lines in the rain and snow.
But the nor’easter blasting along the East Coast isn’t stopping them from bringing electricity to the hundreds of thousands who have been living without it for more than a week.
“Crews here are coping as best they can,” said Steven Gotfried, who’s with the 30-man crew APS sent to Long Island. “Every day they evaluate what worked, what didn’t work, and what they need to do better.”
Workers from APS and SRP have been back east for nearly a week. Wednesday delivered their biggest challenge, as high winds and wet conditions made their way through the region.
“The weather was definitely an element that made it much more difficult to restore power,” Gotfried said.
“Out here on the island it is a wet, slushy, snow. The guys’ shoes and hands kept getting wet from the moisture, and the focus was trying to stay warm and dry throughout the day.”
Gotfried said they’ve restored power to about 4,000 customers on Long Island.
“We’ve been given ownership to this small area of homes on the north shore,” Gotfried said. “Our guys go out every day, they walk the lines, they see what repairs need to be done, and they’re just getting the job done.”
Before the nor’easter uprooted large oak trees onto power lines, the number of customers APS was helping was below 200,000. That number went up to about 240,000 on Wednesday, according to Gotfried.
“We will be here until we are no longer needed,” Gotfried said.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development