Crews from Valley utility companies APS and SRP are somewhat out of their element, fixing power lines in the rain and snow.
But the nor’easter blasting along the East Coast isn’t stopping them from bringing electricity to the hundreds of thousands who have been living without it for more than a week.
“Crews here are coping as best they can,” said Steven Gotfried, who’s with the 30-man crew APS sent to Long Island. “Every day they evaluate what worked, what didn’t work, and what they need to do better.”
Workers from APS and SRP have been back east for nearly a week. Wednesday delivered their biggest challenge, as high winds and wet conditions made their way through the region.
“The weather was definitely an element that made it much more difficult to restore power,” Gotfried said.
“Out here on the island it is a wet, slushy, snow. The guys’ shoes and hands kept getting wet from the moisture, and the focus was trying to stay warm and dry throughout the day.”
Gotfried said they’ve restored power to about 4,000 customers on Long Island.
“We’ve been given ownership to this small area of homes on the north shore,” Gotfried said. “Our guys go out every day, they walk the lines, they see what repairs need to be done, and they’re just getting the job done.”
Before the nor’easter uprooted large oak trees onto power lines, the number of customers APS was helping was below 200,000. That number went up to about 240,000 on Wednesday, according to Gotfried.
“We will be here until we are no longer needed,” Gotfried said.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona