PHOENIX — Some of Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s critics said Tuesday’s election may not be over.
Democratic candidate Paul Penzone ended his campaign with a concession speech in which he said that “it looks like the numbers are going to be insurmountable. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out in our favor.”
The latest election results showed Penzone still trailed Arpaio by about nine percentage points, but Randy Parraz of the Hispanic rights group Citizens for a Better Arizona said the election isn’t over. There are 420,000 early and provisional ballots that haven’t been counted.
Parraz claimed that most of the ballots are from Hispanic areas that are strongholds for both Penzone and Democrat U.S. Senate candidate Richard Carmona, who lost to Republican Jeff Flake.
Parraz argued that both Penzone and Carmona should retract their concession speeches until all of the votes are counted.
“I don’t give a (expletive) about what the political strategists tell you what to do,” said Parraz. “I don’t care if a strategist says you should concede. What about the voters? What about the people who went out there and knocked on doors for Paul Penzone and Richard Carmona?”
Meanwhile, several Hispanic groups are holding a vigil outside of the Maricopa County Election building on Thursday. They’re demanding that County Recorder Helen Purcell provide a full accounting of mistakes they said were made on Election Day and the ballots that have yet to be counted.
Purcell issued a statement Wednesday afternoon that “every effort is being made to complete the processing and tabulation of the 2012 General Election early ballots and provisional ballots.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food