The father of one of the Tucson shooting victims will not be present when the suspect is sentenced Thursday morning.
“I’ve got other things I got to do and what I tell people frequently … what does this have to do with Gabriel?” said Ross Zimmerman, whose son was killed in the shooting.
Jared Loughner pleaded guilty in August to 19 counts under a plea agreement that guarantees he will spend the rest of his life in prison and makes him ineligible for parole.
“This has nothing to do with Gabriel, it has to do with society dealing with the situation. My presence doesn’t have an impact, one way or another,” Zimmerman said of the shooter’s court appearance.
Zimmerman said he misses his son and believes Gabe is with him in spirit.
“I think about Gabe a lot. I would say I’ve learned how to cope with it better,” he said.
Zimmerman is redirecting his grief finding ways to honor the memories of all those affected by being part of the Remembering January 8th organization.
Six people were killed and over a dozen others wounded in the Jan. 8, 2011 attack at a grocery store.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments