The father of one of the Tucson shooting victims will not be present when the suspect is sentenced Thursday morning.
“I’ve got other things I got to do and what I tell people frequently … what does this have to do with Gabriel?” said Ross Zimmerman, whose son was killed in the shooting.
Jared Loughner pleaded guilty in August to 19 counts under a plea agreement that guarantees he will spend the rest of his life in prison and makes him ineligible for parole.
“This has nothing to do with Gabriel, it has to do with society dealing with the situation. My presence doesn’t have an impact, one way or another,” Zimmerman said of the shooter’s court appearance.
Zimmerman said he misses his son and believes Gabe is with him in spirit.
“I think about Gabe a lot. I would say I’ve learned how to cope with it better,” he said.
Zimmerman is redirecting his grief finding ways to honor the memories of all those affected by being part of the Remembering January 8th organization.
Six people were killed and over a dozen others wounded in the Jan. 8, 2011 attack at a grocery store.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development