The father of one of the Tucson shooting victims will not be present when the suspect is sentenced Thursday morning.
“I’ve got other things I got to do and what I tell people frequently … what does this have to do with Gabriel?” said Ross Zimmerman, whose son was killed in the shooting.
Jared Loughner pleaded guilty in August to 19 counts under a plea agreement that guarantees he will spend the rest of his life in prison and makes him ineligible for parole.
“This has nothing to do with Gabriel, it has to do with society dealing with the situation. My presence doesn’t have an impact, one way or another,” Zimmerman said of the shooter’s court appearance.
Zimmerman said he misses his son and believes Gabe is with him in spirit.
“I think about Gabe a lot. I would say I’ve learned how to cope with it better,” he said.
Zimmerman is redirecting his grief finding ways to honor the memories of all those affected by being part of the Remembering January 8th organization.
Six people were killed and over a dozen others wounded in the Jan. 8, 2011 attack at a grocery store.
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered