The father of one of the Tucson shooting victims will not be present when the suspect is sentenced Thursday morning.
“I’ve got other things I got to do and what I tell people frequently … what does this have to do with Gabriel?” said Ross Zimmerman, whose son was killed in the shooting.
Jared Loughner pleaded guilty in August to 19 counts under a plea agreement that guarantees he will spend the rest of his life in prison and makes him ineligible for parole.
“This has nothing to do with Gabriel, it has to do with society dealing with the situation. My presence doesn’t have an impact, one way or another,” Zimmerman said of the shooter’s court appearance.
Zimmerman said he misses his son and believes Gabe is with him in spirit.
“I think about Gabe a lot. I would say I’ve learned how to cope with it better,” he said.
Zimmerman is redirecting his grief finding ways to honor the memories of all those affected by being part of the Remembering January 8th organization.
Six people were killed and over a dozen others wounded in the Jan. 8, 2011 attack at a grocery store.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains