PHOENIX — After years of tension between the sheriff’s office and Hispanic community, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Tuesday night after his re-election that he wanted to reach out to explain his immigration policy and how he handles the law.
Valley attorney and activist Daniel Ortega said he would welcome that move by Arpaio but he questioned the motives.
“He’s the same guy that he has always been,” he said. “Why he wants to reach out is speculative on my part.”
Ortega said there is a great deal of disappointment, distrust and fear in the Hispanic community with the sheriff.
“Of course, we should take the opportunity to keep him from discriminating and racially profiling the Latino community,” he said.
“Anything we can do to achieve that would be time well spent.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development