PHOENIX — After years of tension between the sheriff’s office and Hispanic community, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Tuesday night after his re-election that he wanted to reach out to explain his immigration policy and how he handles the law.
Valley attorney and activist Daniel Ortega said he would welcome that move by Arpaio but he questioned the motives.
“He’s the same guy that he has always been,” he said. “Why he wants to reach out is speculative on my part.”
Ortega said there is a great deal of disappointment, distrust and fear in the Hispanic community with the sheriff.
“Of course, we should take the opportunity to keep him from discriminating and racially profiling the Latino community,” he said.
“Anything we can do to achieve that would be time well spent.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.