PHOENIX — After years of tension between the sheriff’s office and Hispanic community, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Tuesday night after his re-election that he wanted to reach out to explain his immigration policy and how he handles the law.
Valley attorney and activist Daniel Ortega said he would welcome that move by Arpaio but he questioned the motives.
“He’s the same guy that he has always been,” he said. “Why he wants to reach out is speculative on my part.”
Ortega said there is a great deal of disappointment, distrust and fear in the Hispanic community with the sheriff.
“Of course, we should take the opportunity to keep him from discriminating and racially profiling the Latino community,” he said.
“Anything we can do to achieve that would be time well spent.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food