A propane explosion at a north Phoenix gas station sent one man to the hospital with burn injuries on Wednesday.
According to Phoenix Fire Department Cpt. Scott McDonald, the 40-year-old man had just filled four propane tanks for use on a hot air balloon near 19th Ave. and Rose Garden Ln. when the explosion occurred.
“Something happened during that process and the propane ended up igniting,” he said. “Once that got going, the basket, the balloon, everything in the trailer started going very quickly and the fire grew very fast.”
Crews were able to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading to a nearby 2,000-gallon propane tank.
The man was hospitalized in serious condition with first-, second- and third-degree burns.
No one else was injured.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas