A propane explosion at a north Phoenix gas station sent one man to the hospital with burn injuries on Wednesday.
According to Phoenix Fire Department Cpt. Scott McDonald, the 40-year-old man had just filled four propane tanks for use on a hot air balloon near 19th Ave. and Rose Garden Ln. when the explosion occurred.
“Something happened during that process and the propane ended up igniting,” he said. “Once that got going, the basket, the balloon, everything in the trailer started going very quickly and the fire grew very fast.”
Crews were able to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading to a nearby 2,000-gallon propane tank.
The man was hospitalized in serious condition with first-, second- and third-degree burns.
No one else was injured.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona