A propane explosion at a north Phoenix gas station sent one man to the hospital with burn injuries on Wednesday.
According to Phoenix Fire Department Cpt. Scott McDonald, the 40-year-old man had just filled four propane tanks for use on a hot air balloon near 19th Ave. and Rose Garden Ln. when the explosion occurred.
“Something happened during that process and the propane ended up igniting,” he said. “Once that got going, the basket, the balloon, everything in the trailer started going very quickly and the fire grew very fast.”
Crews were able to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading to a nearby 2,000-gallon propane tank.
The man was hospitalized in serious condition with first-, second- and third-degree burns.
No one else was injured.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon