Share this story...
Latest News

Man hospitalized after propane tank explosion

A propane explosion at a north Phoenix gas station sent one man to the hospital with burn injuries on Wednesday.

According to Phoenix Fire Department Cpt. Scott McDonald, the 40-year-old man had just filled four propane tanks for use on a hot air balloon near 19th Ave. and Rose Garden Ln. when the explosion occurred.

“Something happened during that process and the propane ended up igniting,” he said. “Once that got going, the basket, the balloon, everything in the trailer started going very quickly and the fire grew very fast.”

Crews were able to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading to a nearby 2,000-gallon propane tank.

The man was hospitalized in serious condition with first-, second- and third-degree burns.

No one else was injured.