A few Valley businesses thought they were rewarding civic-minded patrons Tuesday with free treats.
Instead they got more than they bargained for when they learned they were breaking an overlooked federal election law.
“They just didn’t know,” said Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne. “We called and asked them to stop and they did. No one is talking about punishing them.”
Sprinkles Cupcakes in Scottsdale, Einstein Bagels, Rainbow Donut Cafe and Olive Garden were offering freebies to anyone who showed up wearing an “I voted” sticker.
Ra Sushi, Circle K and Cadillac Ranch Texaz Grill also were patting voters on the back with giveaways.
According to the state’s Secretary of State’s office: “It’s a violation to provide considerations or promise of anything of value to induce people to go to the polls.”
Even though voting-related giveaways are illegal, hundreds of businesses across the country make the offer during election season.
Horne’s office contacted the businesses and each agreed to stop the promotion immediately.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development