A few Valley businesses thought they were rewarding civic-minded patrons Tuesday with free treats.
Instead they got more than they bargained for when they learned they were breaking an overlooked federal election law.
“They just didn’t know,” said Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne. “We called and asked them to stop and they did. No one is talking about punishing them.”
Sprinkles Cupcakes in Scottsdale, Einstein Bagels, Rainbow Donut Cafe and Olive Garden were offering freebies to anyone who showed up wearing an “I voted” sticker.
Ra Sushi, Circle K and Cadillac Ranch Texaz Grill also were patting voters on the back with giveaways.
According to the state’s Secretary of State’s office: “It’s a violation to provide considerations or promise of anything of value to induce people to go to the polls.”
Even though voting-related giveaways are illegal, hundreds of businesses across the country make the offer during election season.
Horne’s office contacted the businesses and each agreed to stop the promotion immediately.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona