A few Valley businesses thought they were rewarding civic-minded patrons Tuesday with free treats.
Instead they got more than they bargained for when they learned they were breaking an overlooked federal election law.
“They just didn’t know,” said Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne. “We called and asked them to stop and they did. No one is talking about punishing them.”
Sprinkles Cupcakes in Scottsdale, Einstein Bagels, Rainbow Donut Cafe and Olive Garden were offering freebies to anyone who showed up wearing an “I voted” sticker.
Ra Sushi, Circle K and Cadillac Ranch Texaz Grill also were patting voters on the back with giveaways.
According to the state’s Secretary of State’s office: “It’s a violation to provide considerations or promise of anything of value to induce people to go to the polls.”
Even though voting-related giveaways are illegal, hundreds of businesses across the country make the offer during election season.
Horne’s office contacted the businesses and each agreed to stop the promotion immediately.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever