More than 150 Arizona and New Mexico firefighters are on site helping clean up the aftermath of superstorm Sandy.
The crews that helped battle a severe summer of wildfires across the west are now in some ways dealing with similar circumstances on the East Coast.
“Especially when it comes to removing debris and downed trees,” said Cathie Schmidlin with the U.S. Forest Service. “A lot of our crews are used to being self-sufficient and they’re able to take care of themselves on fires. This is going to be a similar case.”
Schmidlin said 100 firefighters sent to the east will be operating chain saws. The wildfire crews are made up of personnel from the USFS, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Indian Affairs, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and National Park Service along with state agencies and local fire departments.
Schmidlin said there’s no timetable on when the crews will return to the southwest.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development