More than 150 Arizona and New Mexico firefighters are on site helping clean up the aftermath of superstorm Sandy.
The crews that helped battle a severe summer of wildfires across the west are now in some ways dealing with similar circumstances on the East Coast.
“Especially when it comes to removing debris and downed trees,” said Cathie Schmidlin with the U.S. Forest Service. “A lot of our crews are used to being self-sufficient and they’re able to take care of themselves on fires. This is going to be a similar case.”
Schmidlin said 100 firefighters sent to the east will be operating chain saws. The wildfire crews are made up of personnel from the USFS, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Indian Affairs, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and National Park Service along with state agencies and local fire departments.
Schmidlin said there’s no timetable on when the crews will return to the southwest.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas