Phoenix was named today as one of the finalists in the Bloomberg Philanthropies’ Mayors Challenge, a competition aimed to generate innovative ideas and improve city life.
According to a release, Mayor Greg Stanton and City Manager David Cavazos announced that Phoenix is recognized for its idea of smart-energy district that improve neighborhoods. These neighborhoods will maximize energy diversity.
Phoenix will compete against 19 other cities across the country for the grand prize of $5 million. There will also be four additional prizes of $1 million each.
“We are going to use the money to make sure that every portion of the city — not just downtown, not just the historic neighborhoods — every neighborhood in the city has a plan to max out sustainability in their area,” said Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton.
The ideas were rated on vision/creativity, ability to implement, potential for impact and potential for replication.
A team from Phoenix will be sent to New York City to work with other city teams to further their ideas.
Winners will be announced in spring 2013.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes