The impending election is a topic you probably won’t be able to avoid, but is it a conversation to be had at work?
“Politics, like other things, is an emotional topic,” said Paul Spiegalman, an employee morale specialist. “Whether it’s politics or religion, there are things that are comfortable for people and things that are not.”
According to a recent survey by Careerbuilder of more than 4,100 workers, most workers stay clear of talking about their favorite political candidate around the water cooler.
Sixty-six percent said they choose not to disclose their political affiliation at work.
One explanation for the secrecy is the fear of job loss.
“They feel like if they don’t have an opinion that lines up with other people’s or even their own boss that they might be putting their position or job at risk,” said Spieglman.
According to Spieglman, talking politics at work it is a personal choice and if all parties are interested and willing.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development