The impending election is a topic you probably won’t be able to avoid, but is it a conversation to be had at work?
“Politics, like other things, is an emotional topic,” said Paul Spiegalman, an employee morale specialist. “Whether it’s politics or religion, there are things that are comfortable for people and things that are not.”
According to a recent survey by Careerbuilder of more than 4,100 workers, most workers stay clear of talking about their favorite political candidate around the water cooler.
Sixty-six percent said they choose not to disclose their political affiliation at work.
One explanation for the secrecy is the fear of job loss.
“They feel like if they don’t have an opinion that lines up with other people’s or even their own boss that they might be putting their position or job at risk,” said Spieglman.
According to Spieglman, talking politics at work it is a personal choice and if all parties are interested and willing.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains