The impending election is a topic you probably won’t be able to avoid, but is it a conversation to be had at work?
“Politics, like other things, is an emotional topic,” said Paul Spiegalman, an employee morale specialist. “Whether it’s politics or religion, there are things that are comfortable for people and things that are not.”
According to a recent survey by Careerbuilder of more than 4,100 workers, most workers stay clear of talking about their favorite political candidate around the water cooler.
Sixty-six percent said they choose not to disclose their political affiliation at work.
One explanation for the secrecy is the fear of job loss.
“They feel like if they don’t have an opinion that lines up with other people’s or even their own boss that they might be putting their position or job at risk,” said Spieglman.
According to Spieglman, talking politics at work it is a personal choice and if all parties are interested and willing.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona