MESA, Ariz. – The deal between Arizona State University and the Chicago Cubs to share a new baseball stadium has collapsed.
Whose decision was it to end negotiations? That depends on who you ask.
ASU issued a statement on Thursday saying that it pulled out of the deal because it was far too costly for the university.
But Mesa Mayor Scott Smith argues the new stadium wouldn’t have cost ASU a thing, and that the new stadium would have been a perfect fit for the Sun Devils.
“It was close to the ASU campus,” Smith said. “We could arrange the practice facilities so there was complete separation between the ASU facilities and the Cubs facilities. They literally would have had to go out of their way to interact with each other. It was a perfect situation.”
Appearing on KTAR’s “Arizona’s Morning News Weekend” show on Saturday, Smith said moving to the new stadium wouldn’t have cost ASU anything, and, in fact, the university would have received the first one million dollars in revenues from the stadium.
Smith said that ASU had become increasingly difficult to deal with.
“We had sent out a recent draft that the city had prepared and didn’t get a positive response from them,” Smith said.
That’s when the mayor said he took action that led to negotiations being stopped.
“I informed both ASU President Michael Crowe and Cubs owner Tom Ricketts that I wasn’t going to spin my wheels as a mediator, and, therefore, wasn’t going to act in that capacity anymore.”
ASU wants to move its baseball program out of Packard Stadium, and said it is exploring other stadium options.
Smith said there’s little chance of the Sun Devils moving into Mesa’s Hohokam Stadium once the Cubs leave there to head to the new ballpark.
He said Mesa is in negotiations with the Oakland Athletics to move their Cactus League games to Hohokam from Phoenix Municipal Stadium.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns