MESA, Ariz. – The deal between Arizona State University and the Chicago Cubs to share a new baseball stadium has collapsed.
Whose decision was it to end negotiations? That depends on who you ask.
ASU issued a statement on Thursday saying that it pulled out of the deal because it was far too costly for the university.
But Mesa Mayor Scott Smith argues the new stadium wouldn’t have cost ASU a thing, and that the new stadium would have been a perfect fit for the Sun Devils.
“It was close to the ASU campus,” Smith said. “We could arrange the practice facilities so there was complete separation between the ASU facilities and the Cubs facilities. They literally would have had to go out of their way to interact with each other. It was a perfect situation.”
Appearing on KTAR’s “Arizona’s Morning News Weekend” show on Saturday, Smith said moving to the new stadium wouldn’t have cost ASU anything, and, in fact, the university would have received the first one million dollars in revenues from the stadium.
Smith said that ASU had become increasingly difficult to deal with.
“We had sent out a recent draft that the city had prepared and didn’t get a positive response from them,” Smith said.
That’s when the mayor said he took action that led to negotiations being stopped.
“I informed both ASU President Michael Crowe and Cubs owner Tom Ricketts that I wasn’t going to spin my wheels as a mediator, and, therefore, wasn’t going to act in that capacity anymore.”
ASU wants to move its baseball program out of Packard Stadium, and said it is exploring other stadium options.
Smith said there’s little chance of the Sun Devils moving into Mesa’s Hohokam Stadium once the Cubs leave there to head to the new ballpark.
He said Mesa is in negotiations with the Oakland Athletics to move their Cactus League games to Hohokam from Phoenix Municipal Stadium.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them