Over 3,300 high school and junior college students from around Arizona checked out Grand Canyon University on Friday.
It was the school’s 27th annual Health Sciences and Nursing Day.
“We give them the opportunity to explore and understand more about health care careers and science careers,” said Mark Wooden, the Dean of GCU’s College of Arts and Sciences. “We also get a lot of instructors that teach anatomy labs and science courses in high schools. f they have students that are thinking strongly about going into a science career, they’ll bring them here and give them the opportunity to see some things that they can’t expose them to in a high school setting.”
One of those things is GCU’s cadaver lab. Coronado High School senior Bashir Cofner said that was unusual.
“Looking at the open bodies and stuff like that; it was kind of creepy, but it was interesting,” he said.
Several of the school’s clubs had booths for the students to visit and the students were invited to stay for a concert at GCU arena.
Coronado sophomore Brianne Giddings was pretty impressed with the school.
“I actually wasn’t quite sure about how great it was, but I got first hand knowledge today, so it was very informative,” she said.
Cofner and Giddings are both considering healthcare careers.
The Nursing Day has exploded in popularity in recent years. Attendance at the event as grown since 2005, when just 600 students attended.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier