Over 3,300 high school and junior college students from around Arizona checked out Grand Canyon University on Friday.
It was the school’s 27th annual Health Sciences and Nursing Day.
“We give them the opportunity to explore and understand more about health care careers and science careers,” said Mark Wooden, the Dean of GCU’s College of Arts and Sciences. “We also get a lot of instructors that teach anatomy labs and science courses in high schools. f they have students that are thinking strongly about going into a science career, they’ll bring them here and give them the opportunity to see some things that they can’t expose them to in a high school setting.”
One of those things is GCU’s cadaver lab. Coronado High School senior Bashir Cofner said that was unusual.
“Looking at the open bodies and stuff like that; it was kind of creepy, but it was interesting,” he said.
Several of the school’s clubs had booths for the students to visit and the students were invited to stay for a concert at GCU arena.
Coronado sophomore Brianne Giddings was pretty impressed with the school.
“I actually wasn’t quite sure about how great it was, but I got first hand knowledge today, so it was very informative,” she said.
Cofner and Giddings are both considering healthcare careers.
The Nursing Day has exploded in popularity in recent years. Attendance at the event as grown since 2005, when just 600 students attended.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon