PHOENIX — The United States Supreme Court essentially decided the 2000 presidential election, when only a few hundred votes separated George W. Bush and Al Gore.
Pushing the clock forward 12 years, Arizona State University law professor Paul Bender sees a scenario that could land the race for the White House in the high court again.
“If Ohio is within a couple of thousand votes or less separating the candidates, there will be calls for recounts, there will be litigation and the Ohio courts will get involved.”
Bender said both campaigns are flooding Ohio with attorneys for a reason.
“To monitor the polls. If they have that many lawyers around on Election Day, it’s almost certain there will be a demand for a recount and then we’ll have the same thing that happened in Florida, about which ballots are counted and which are not.”
Bender has been in front of the Supreme Court several times and said it’s less likely that the high court will jump into this election than justices were in 2000, because of the heavy criticism they received 12 years ago.
Click here to predict the presidential election.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.