PHOENIX — The United States Supreme Court essentially decided the 2000 presidential election, when only a few hundred votes separated George W. Bush and Al Gore.
Pushing the clock forward 12 years, Arizona State University law professor Paul Bender sees a scenario that could land the race for the White House in the high court again.
“If Ohio is within a couple of thousand votes or less separating the candidates, there will be calls for recounts, there will be litigation and the Ohio courts will get involved.”
Bender said both campaigns are flooding Ohio with attorneys for a reason.
“To monitor the polls. If they have that many lawyers around on Election Day, it’s almost certain there will be a demand for a recount and then we’ll have the same thing that happened in Florida, about which ballots are counted and which are not.”
Bender has been in front of the Supreme Court several times and said it’s less likely that the high court will jump into this election than justices were in 2000, because of the heavy criticism they received 12 years ago.
Click here to predict the presidential election.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development