PHOENIX — The United States Supreme Court essentially decided the 2000 presidential election, when only a few hundred votes separated George W. Bush and Al Gore.
Pushing the clock forward 12 years, Arizona State University law professor Paul Bender sees a scenario that could land the race for the White House in the high court again.
“If Ohio is within a couple of thousand votes or less separating the candidates, there will be calls for recounts, there will be litigation and the Ohio courts will get involved.”
Bender said both campaigns are flooding Ohio with attorneys for a reason.
“To monitor the polls. If they have that many lawyers around on Election Day, it’s almost certain there will be a demand for a recount and then we’ll have the same thing that happened in Florida, about which ballots are counted and which are not.”
Bender has been in front of the Supreme Court several times and said it’s less likely that the high court will jump into this election than justices were in 2000, because of the heavy criticism they received 12 years ago.
Click here to predict the presidential election.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever