A Scottsdale man has been cleared in two sexual- assault cases, after a DNA test proved to not be a match with forensic samples of the attacker.
Ryan Festa had turned himself in Oct. 26, after Scottsdale police released a sketch of a rape suspect, who resembled Festa. The 22-year-old’s attorney said the young man has a brain injury and is susceptible to suggestion.
Two women were sexually assaulted in their Scottsdale apartments in the span of a week, with the attacker using similar methods of entry into the homes.
The first attack occurred Oct. 18. Police spokesman Sgt. Mark Clark said a man entered an apartment through an unlocked patio door and sexually assaulted a 49-year-old woman.
A 29-year-old woman was assaulted Oct. 24 at a complex a few blocks away by a man who also came in through an unlocked patio door.
Both victims gave police similar descriptions of the man for the composite sketch.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees