A home in the Arcadia area of Phoenix that has been the subject of public attention is apparently here to stay.
Developer Steve Sells has agreed to sell the 2,500-square-foot home, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, to an anonymous buyer for $2.5 million dollars.
Wright designed the house for his children. The home near 56th street and Camelback was the subject of controversy after Sells’ original plans for the home became public.
“It’s been on and off the market,” said Valley realtor Robert Joffe. “It really didn’t have much attention. Ultimately, [Sells] came in, and his thoughts were to demolish the home, and build two spec homes on the property as an investment.”
That led to the outcry by preservationists. The home sits on two acres of land and its spiral design is similar to the Guggenheim museum, also designed by Wright. Joffe said Sells gained a new appreciation for the home, and decided to sell it instead of demolish it.
A buyer came forward on Wednesday. Joffe said the buyer wishes to remain anonymous, but appears to have good intentions for the property.
“He’s not buying it for public awareness, and he’s not doing it to make money,” said Joffe. “He’s doing it for the right reasons. He wants to keep the house, restore the home, and bring it up to what it used to be.”
Joffe does not know if the new buyer will actually live in the home.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever