A home in the Arcadia area of Phoenix that has been the subject of public attention is apparently here to stay.
Developer Steve Sells has agreed to sell the 2,500-square-foot home, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, to an anonymous buyer for $2.5 million dollars.
Wright designed the house for his children. The home near 56th street and Camelback was the subject of controversy after Sells’ original plans for the home became public.
“It’s been on and off the market,” said Valley realtor Robert Joffe. “It really didn’t have much attention. Ultimately, [Sells] came in, and his thoughts were to demolish the home, and build two spec homes on the property as an investment.”
That led to the outcry by preservationists. The home sits on two acres of land and its spiral design is similar to the Guggenheim museum, also designed by Wright. Joffe said Sells gained a new appreciation for the home, and decided to sell it instead of demolish it.
A buyer came forward on Wednesday. Joffe said the buyer wishes to remain anonymous, but appears to have good intentions for the property.
“He’s not buying it for public awareness, and he’s not doing it to make money,” said Joffe. “He’s doing it for the right reasons. He wants to keep the house, restore the home, and bring it up to what it used to be.”
Joffe does not know if the new buyer will actually live in the home.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food