Two major Valley utility companies are figuring out the final details before they sends crews and equipment to the East Coast to aid in the recovery from superstorm Sandy.
Scott Harelson with Salt River Project said the company is just about ready to send over 60 crew members and 27 trucks back east.
“The equipment is now scheduled to leave from the National Guard at Sky Harbor [Friday] morning,” he said. “The other crews, along with crews from APS will likely travel with us now on our charter flight that will leave Mesa-Gateway at noon.”
Arizona Public Service will send 36 employees along with bucket and boom trucks.
The equipment and crews will work with the Long Island Power Authority to restore power to New York and New Jersey.
It’s estimated that the crews and equipment will be on the East Coast for up to two weeks.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night