If seafood sounds like a good idea for dinner this week, call ahead. Superstorm Sandy has been slowing down shipments to local restaurants.
The storm has hit the fishing industry hard, demolishing docks and capsizing boats along the northeast coast. As a result, some Valley restaurants aren’t getting their usual amount of seafood from back east.
“We get scallops from the north coast of Massachusetts,” said Eddie Matney, who owns Eddie’s House in Scottsdale. “They just informed us that scallops are going to be scarce for the next few days because they couldn’t fish.”
Matney said he’s relying on the West Coast more so this week to provide a lot of the fish for his restaurant.
“It is going to take a few days to bounce back. So we have to definitely make adjustments, but it’s about being resourceful.”
Matney said the number of shipments from the East Coast should be back to normal by next week.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains