TEMPE, Ariz. — Dozens of Arizona State University students showed up for a nonpartisan voter education rally Wednesday on the Tempe campus’ Hayden Lawn.
Supporters of Mitt Romney, President Barack Obama and several local candidates set up to booths to try to persuade students to vote for their cause.
“We have young Americans for Liberty, we have Students for Obama, we have representatives from the campaign offices of Kyrsten Sinema and Jerry Lewis. We have a huge breadth of people,” said event organizer Brianna Pantillione of the Arizona Students’ Association.
Mike Stauffer, an independent candidate for Maricopa County Sheriff, was also there.
Pantillione said the rally gave students a chance to meet with those campaign supporters and for the campaigns to get the students excited about voting.
“We’re hoping that they get the message out to help engage the youth vote and help make sure the students know that their voice is important,” she said. “Some students have voted before, but by en large this is the students’ first presidential election.”
Pantillione’s group was involved in a recent drive in which over seven thousand Arizonans registered to vote.
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered