PHOENIX — Arizona disaster and emergency responders are ready to go should they get the call to help with superstorm Sandy cleanup and aid efforts.
An Arizona task force team made up of Phoenix firefighters and police officers could be called out to help and Arizona Red Cross spokeswoman Trudy Rice said many of the agency’s 900 volunteers trained in a wide range of areas are ready to head east as soon as the call comes for help.
“Everybody from registered nurses to mental health providers, truck drivers, shelter providers, etc.,” she said.
The 80-member task force team is always on standby for emergencies anywhere in the country. The group has trucks filled with the gear/supplies that could hold them over for 2 weeks to a month. Frank Nunez with Phoenix Fire said all it will take is a call from FEMA.
“We’re ready at a moments notice, within 24 hours to ship out.”
The team has been deployed to New York after Sept. 11 and to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.
The Red Cross volunteers have been told they could be gone for three weeks although Rice said that rarely is the case.
She said the best thing Arizona residents can do to help is give blood or cash.
“The routine blood drives in the east have been cancelled and the blood supplies need donors.”
Rice said hundreds of volunteers will stay in Arizona in case of another emergency, such as a California earthquake.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever