The ongoing National Hockey League lockout is on a lot of people’s minds, but that rings especially true in Glendale, home of the Phoenix Coyotes.
With every Coyotes home game that is cancelled at Jobing.com Arena, the city misses out on a lot of money.
“We are looking at a $60,000 revenue loss to the city per game,” said Glendale spokeswoman Jennifer Stein.
So far, the lockout has cost the city at least a quarter of a million dollars and it could end up being quite a bit more.
“If we are looking at a lockout that would impact the entire season, it is about $2.5 million of economic impact from the Coyotes and the arena,” said Stein.
Stein said that Glendale officials don’t think the lockout will have any influence on voters when they go to the polls next month. They will decide the fate of a sales tax that would pay for a $300 million arena deal with potential new Coyotes owner Greg Jamison.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof