For more adult children, there’s no place like home as they struggle to make ends meet.
According to an Ohio State University study that examined U.S. Census data, 43 percent of adults under the age of 25 moved back in with their parents during the Great Recession.
Arizona State University student Diego Monsalve is among the 43 percent. After one year in the dorms and two years sharing a house with friends, Monsalve returned home.
“Toward the end of my junior year I was really getting stressed over money,” said the 22-year-old education major.
Moving back home meant a lot less stress for Monsalve, especially since he pays no bills. Plus, there are other perks, such as his mother, Nubia Glennon, making breakfast, packing lunches and even doing his laundry.
“I want to be the best mom for him,” she said.
Monsalve has his own room, but sometimes Glennon’s questions about where he’s going at night and when he’s coming home can be annoying, but Monsalve said he understands. Before moving in they set some ground rules, among them keeping his room clean and not slamming doors.
Both claim the arrangement is working, but neither knows for how long.
“We really didn’t talk about how long I was going to stay here,” Monsalve said. “I haven’t really given it a lot of thought. I’m just focused on the day to day.”
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee