For more adult children, there’s no place like home as they struggle to make ends meet.
According to an Ohio State University study that examined U.S. Census data, 43 percent of adults under the age of 25 moved back in with their parents during the Great Recession.
Arizona State University student Diego Monsalve is among the 43 percent. After one year in the dorms and two years sharing a house with friends, Monsalve returned home.
“Toward the end of my junior year I was really getting stressed over money,” said the 22-year-old education major.
Moving back home meant a lot less stress for Monsalve, especially since he pays no bills. Plus, there are other perks, such as his mother, Nubia Glennon, making breakfast, packing lunches and even doing his laundry.
“I want to be the best mom for him,” she said.
Monsalve has his own room, but sometimes Glennon’s questions about where he’s going at night and when he’s coming home can be annoying, but Monsalve said he understands. Before moving in they set some ground rules, among them keeping his room clean and not slamming doors.
Both claim the arrangement is working, but neither knows for how long.
“We really didn’t talk about how long I was going to stay here,” Monsalve said. “I haven’t really given it a lot of thought. I’m just focused on the day to day.”
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona