PHOENIX — Voters who want to wear something that makes a political statement when they go to the polls in November can go right ahead.
When Diane Wickberg went to vote in Flagstaff in 2010, she was stopped at the door because of the shirt she was wearing.
“On the front it said ‘Flagstaff Tea Party’, and on the back it said ‘Protecting the Constitution’,” said Starlee Rhodes of the Goldwater Institute.
“Poll workers turned her away from voting that day because they said she was wearing a shirt that was trying to influence the way other people voted.”
The shirt did not endorse any political candidate or ballot measure. Rhodes said a judge issued an injunction that allowed Wickberg to vote. That injunction was upheld by a court last year.
That led to a bill that passed the Arizona Legislature and has now become law. Rhodes said it allows you to wear whatever you want to your polling place.
“If you want to wear your Barack Obama T-shirt into the polling booth, you go right ahead,” Rhodes said. “If you want to wear your Romney/Ryan shirt, sticker or button, you’re free to do it.”
Rhodes said that engaging in political conversation in an attempt to persuade other voters inside the polling place is still a no-no.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier