PHOENIX — Voters who want to wear something that makes a political statement when they go to the polls in November can go right ahead.
When Diane Wickberg went to vote in Flagstaff in 2010, she was stopped at the door because of the shirt she was wearing.
“On the front it said ‘Flagstaff Tea Party’, and on the back it said ‘Protecting the Constitution’,” said Starlee Rhodes of the Goldwater Institute.
“Poll workers turned her away from voting that day because they said she was wearing a shirt that was trying to influence the way other people voted.”
The shirt did not endorse any political candidate or ballot measure. Rhodes said a judge issued an injunction that allowed Wickberg to vote. That injunction was upheld by a court last year.
That led to a bill that passed the Arizona Legislature and has now become law. Rhodes said it allows you to wear whatever you want to your polling place.
“If you want to wear your Barack Obama T-shirt into the polling booth, you go right ahead,” Rhodes said. “If you want to wear your Romney/Ryan shirt, sticker or button, you’re free to do it.”
Rhodes said that engaging in political conversation in an attempt to persuade other voters inside the polling place is still a no-no.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon