CAVE CREEK, Ariz. — A festival in Cave Creek will be a bunch of bull Saturday.
It’s the town’s second annual “Running of the Bulls” Festival.
The bulls have been chasing people through the streets in Pamplona, Spain since the 14th century, but local promoter Phil Immordino said something else inspired him to do it here.
“When I was in seventh grade, living in Phoenix, a bull was let loose in the neighborhood,” Immordino said. “The media went crazy. It was all over the news.”
While promoting a rodeo several years later, Immordino started talking about holding a running of the bulls. There have been four bull runs in the United States, including two in California and one at Rawhide in Scottsdale in 2002. Immordino started Cave Creek’s festival last year.
A crowd of 5,000 watched 1,000 runners run from the bulls last year. There were no injuries, and Immordino hopes to have at least the same amount of people this year.
There will be seven runs starting at 10 a.m. If you want to outrun the 12 raging bulls, you’d better move fast.
“They can run up to 45 miles an hour, depending on what kind of mood they’re in,” Immordino said of the animals. “They probably won’t be moving that fast. They’ll probably go about 25 miles an hour.”
The top bull runner gets a $1,000 cash prize.
In addition to the bull runs, Immordino said that the festival will feature several other events.
“We’ll have exciting activities in the arena, such as American bullfighting, Mexican bullfighting, even midget bullfighting starting at 10:30 a.m.”
Other entertainment includes the country group Southern Delight, which will take the stage for a concert starting at 6 p.m.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl