CAVE CREEK, Ariz. — A festival in Cave Creek will be a bunch of bull Saturday.
It’s the town’s second annual “Running of the Bulls” Festival.
The bulls have been chasing people through the streets in Pamplona, Spain since the 14th century, but local promoter Phil Immordino said something else inspired him to do it here.
“When I was in seventh grade, living in Phoenix, a bull was let loose in the neighborhood,” Immordino said. “The media went crazy. It was all over the news.”
While promoting a rodeo several years later, Immordino started talking about holding a running of the bulls. There have been four bull runs in the United States, including two in California and one at Rawhide in Scottsdale in 2002. Immordino started Cave Creek’s festival last year.
A crowd of 5,000 watched 1,000 runners run from the bulls last year. There were no injuries, and Immordino hopes to have at least the same amount of people this year.
There will be seven runs starting at 10 a.m. If you want to outrun the 12 raging bulls, you’d better move fast.
“They can run up to 45 miles an hour, depending on what kind of mood they’re in,” Immordino said of the animals. “They probably won’t be moving that fast. They’ll probably go about 25 miles an hour.”
The top bull runner gets a $1,000 cash prize.
In addition to the bull runs, Immordino said that the festival will feature several other events.
“We’ll have exciting activities in the arena, such as American bullfighting, Mexican bullfighting, even midget bullfighting starting at 10:30 a.m.”
Other entertainment includes the country group Southern Delight, which will take the stage for a concert starting at 6 p.m.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas