PHOENIX — Less than three of years after having an unemployment rate hovering around 10 percent, Arizona has become the nation’s fifth-most popular destination for job seekers, according to the Manhattan Institute.
In 2009-10 Arizona’s unemployment rate hovered around 10 percent. In August the jobless rate was at 8.3 percent.
Michael Hayes with Momentum Specialized Staffing said he’s seeing an influx of people from the South, Michigan and the jobs are for skilled workers.
“For example metal workers, plumbers, high-end construction, truck drivers.”
And it’s not just jobs that are luring people to the Grand Canyon State, he said.
“The cost of living is significantly lower than many other places. Homes are affordable. And we don’t face disasters that other states do like flooding, tornadoes and hurricanes.”
There is one thing that concerns him.
“We’re not creating enough high-level jobs with people paying taxes and spending a lot of their money. We’re still the low wage capitol of the world because we love to create $10-12 an hour jobs.
“Those jobs long term will not replace a $15-25 an hour job. I don’t expect construction to fully recover even though that has improved.”
Arizona Construction Association estimates that the state lost almost 210,000 construction jobs in the recession.
Rounding out the top five job destination states were Florida, Texas, North Carolina and Georgia.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night