PHOENIX — Less than three of years after having an unemployment rate hovering around 10 percent, Arizona has become the nation’s fifth-most popular destination for job seekers, according to the Manhattan Institute.
In 2009-10 Arizona’s unemployment rate hovered around 10 percent. In August the jobless rate was at 8.3 percent.
Michael Hayes with Momentum Specialized Staffing said he’s seeing an influx of people from the South, Michigan and the jobs are for skilled workers.
“For example metal workers, plumbers, high-end construction, truck drivers.”
And it’s not just jobs that are luring people to the Grand Canyon State, he said.
“The cost of living is significantly lower than many other places. Homes are affordable. And we don’t face disasters that other states do like flooding, tornadoes and hurricanes.”
There is one thing that concerns him.
“We’re not creating enough high-level jobs with people paying taxes and spending a lot of their money. We’re still the low wage capitol of the world because we love to create $10-12 an hour jobs.
“Those jobs long term will not replace a $15-25 an hour job. I don’t expect construction to fully recover even though that has improved.”
Arizona Construction Association estimates that the state lost almost 210,000 construction jobs in the recession.
Rounding out the top five job destination states were Florida, Texas, North Carolina and Georgia.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon