PHOENIX — Hundreds of earthquakes occur in Arizona each year and most go unfelt.
Mike Conway with the Arizona Geological Survey said faults in Arizona are capable of producing a 7.5 magnitude quake, but a quake that large in the state is unlikely.
“It would not be surprising to see something in the neighborhood of a 6.5 to 7.0,” he said. “A 7.5 is a very large earthquake.
The Valley is only a couple of hundred miles away from the gold standard of faults: the San Andreas in California. Arizona is also surrounded by Utah, New Mexico and Mexico, which Conway said are all prime for large earthquakes.
“A 6.5 to 7.0 earthquake could cost significant damage if it occurred near the major metro areas,” said Conway. “Phoenix probably wouldn’t see a large quake based on what we know about fault rupture beneath the Valley, at least the ones that we’re aware of.
“There are dozens of young and active faults in Arizona that probably haven’t been identified yet.”
Arizona’s largest quakes happened in the early 1900s, when Flagstaff had a series of intense earthquakes around 6.0.
The 6.9 Loma Prieta earthquake that struck the San Francisco Bay Area in 1989 lasted 10-15 seconds, killed 63 people and caused $6 billion in damage.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets