It was loud, fun and for a great cause. The Valley’s 4th Annual Biker’s Challenge wrapped up Sunday afternoon.
Four local Harley Davidson chapters competed to raise 10,000 thousand pounds of food and 15,000 thousand dollars in cash for the St. Mary’s Food Bank in Phoenix. That’s nearly double what they raised last year.
Saint Mary’s Spokesperson Jerry Brown says the donations will provide 140,000 meals to the hungry after a slow summer. “Donations were down about 20-30 percent, and the recent peanut butter recall with 46,000 jars of peanut butter being recalled from our warehouses really puts us more in about the 50 percent category.”
Four years ago the event raised enough food to provide 20,000 meals. The second year they doubled that providing 40,000 meals and last year they brought in enough to give 80,000 people a meal.
For every dollar the food bank receives, they are able to provide seven meals to the community.
Nearly 200 bikers celebrated the fundraiser Sunday with ride and a Bar-b-que at Buddy Stubbs Harley Davidson in Anthem, AZ.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.