It was loud, fun and for a great cause. The Valley’s 4th Annual Biker’s Challenge wrapped up Sunday afternoon.
Four local Harley Davidson chapters competed to raise 10,000 thousand pounds of food and 15,000 thousand dollars in cash for the St. Mary’s Food Bank in Phoenix. That’s nearly double what they raised last year.
Saint Mary’s Spokesperson Jerry Brown says the donations will provide 140,000 meals to the hungry after a slow summer. “Donations were down about 20-30 percent, and the recent peanut butter recall with 46,000 jars of peanut butter being recalled from our warehouses really puts us more in about the 50 percent category.”
Four years ago the event raised enough food to provide 20,000 meals. The second year they doubled that providing 40,000 meals and last year they brought in enough to give 80,000 people a meal.
For every dollar the food bank receives, they are able to provide seven meals to the community.
Nearly 200 bikers celebrated the fundraiser Sunday with ride and a Bar-b-que at Buddy Stubbs Harley Davidson in Anthem, AZ.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona