It was loud, fun and for a great cause. The Valley’s 4th Annual Biker’s Challenge wrapped up Sunday afternoon.
Four local Harley Davidson chapters competed to raise 10,000 thousand pounds of food and 15,000 thousand dollars in cash for the St. Mary’s Food Bank in Phoenix. That’s nearly double what they raised last year.
Saint Mary’s Spokesperson Jerry Brown says the donations will provide 140,000 meals to the hungry after a slow summer. “Donations were down about 20-30 percent, and the recent peanut butter recall with 46,000 jars of peanut butter being recalled from our warehouses really puts us more in about the 50 percent category.”
Four years ago the event raised enough food to provide 20,000 meals. The second year they doubled that providing 40,000 meals and last year they brought in enough to give 80,000 people a meal.
For every dollar the food bank receives, they are able to provide seven meals to the community.
Nearly 200 bikers celebrated the fundraiser Sunday with ride and a Bar-b-que at Buddy Stubbs Harley Davidson in Anthem, AZ.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon