It was loud, fun and for a great cause. The Valley’s 4th Annual Biker’s Challenge wrapped up Sunday afternoon.
Four local Harley Davidson chapters competed to raise 10,000 thousand pounds of food and 15,000 thousand dollars in cash for the St. Mary’s Food Bank in Phoenix. That’s nearly double what they raised last year.
Saint Mary’s Spokesperson Jerry Brown says the donations will provide 140,000 meals to the hungry after a slow summer. “Donations were down about 20-30 percent, and the recent peanut butter recall with 46,000 jars of peanut butter being recalled from our warehouses really puts us more in about the 50 percent category.”
Four years ago the event raised enough food to provide 20,000 meals. The second year they doubled that providing 40,000 meals and last year they brought in enough to give 80,000 people a meal.
For every dollar the food bank receives, they are able to provide seven meals to the community.
Nearly 200 bikers celebrated the fundraiser Sunday with ride and a Bar-b-que at Buddy Stubbs Harley Davidson in Anthem, AZ.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments