Doctors and staff alike at Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph’s are in mourning Monday, after the hit-and-run death of colleague Dr. Marwan Maalouf.
Maalouf, 38, who was riding his bicycle along Shea Boulevard, was killed Sunday afternoon in Fountain Hills when a truck hit him from behind and fled the scene.
Driver Nicholas Linsk, 33, was arrested and charged with a class 2 felony Sunday night for leaving the scene of a fatal accident.
At around noon Maalouf was riding his bicycle westbound when his back wheel was hit by a trailing vehicle. He was killed on impact.
Shortly after the crash, a witness driving past the scene of accident noticed debris and saw a man nearby inspecting his Chevrolet pickup on 134th Street.
The witness then reported the license plate number to local authorities.
Maalouf was a respected neurologist at St. Joseph’s Barrow. “Replacing an individual like Dr. Maalouf is extremely difficult,” said Dr. Roy Patchell, who hired Maalouf in 2010.
“He could have cured Alzheimer’s disease, possibly. He certainly could have made a major dent in our understanding of Alzheimer’s.”
Maalouf leaves behind a wife.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match