Doctors and staff alike at Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph’s are in mourning Monday, after the hit-and-run death of colleague Dr. Marwan Maalouf.
Maalouf, 38, who was riding his bicycle along Shea Boulevard, was killed Sunday afternoon in Fountain Hills when a truck hit him from behind and fled the scene.
Driver Nicholas Linsk, 33, was arrested and charged with a class 2 felony Sunday night for leaving the scene of a fatal accident.
At around noon Maalouf was riding his bicycle westbound when his back wheel was hit by a trailing vehicle. He was killed on impact.
Shortly after the crash, a witness driving past the scene of accident noticed debris and saw a man nearby inspecting his Chevrolet pickup on 134th Street.
The witness then reported the license plate number to local authorities.
Maalouf was a respected neurologist at St. Joseph’s Barrow. “Replacing an individual like Dr. Maalouf is extremely difficult,” said Dr. Roy Patchell, who hired Maalouf in 2010.
“He could have cured Alzheimer’s disease, possibly. He certainly could have made a major dent in our understanding of Alzheimer’s.”
Maalouf leaves behind a wife.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development