Doctors and staff alike at Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph’s are in mourning Monday, after the hit-and-run death of colleague Dr. Marwan Maalouf.
Maalouf, 38, who was riding his bicycle along Shea Boulevard, was killed Sunday afternoon in Fountain Hills when a truck hit him from behind and fled the scene.
Driver Nicholas Linsk, 33, was arrested and charged with a class 2 felony Sunday night for leaving the scene of a fatal accident.
At around noon Maalouf was riding his bicycle westbound when his back wheel was hit by a trailing vehicle. He was killed on impact.
Shortly after the crash, a witness driving past the scene of accident noticed debris and saw a man nearby inspecting his Chevrolet pickup on 134th Street.
The witness then reported the license plate number to local authorities.
Maalouf was a respected neurologist at St. Joseph’s Barrow. “Replacing an individual like Dr. Maalouf is extremely difficult,” said Dr. Roy Patchell, who hired Maalouf in 2010.
“He could have cured Alzheimer’s disease, possibly. He certainly could have made a major dent in our understanding of Alzheimer’s.”
Maalouf leaves behind a wife.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food