MESA, Ariz. — The new spring training home of the Chicago Cubs is starting to take shape.
Mesa Mayor Scott Smith said as he was flying into the Valley last week, he looked out the window and saw that construction on the stadium is moving right along.
“I saw outlines of fields and where the bowl of the stadium is going,” Smith said. “The dirt work is moving along very quickly. It won’t be long until we actually start pouring concrete and doing vertical on the construction of the Cubs’ training facility.”
The $99 million stadium near the Loop 101 and 202 freeways is set to open next year.
The big question is whether Arizona State University will join the Cubs there. The university wants to move its baseball program out of on-campus 40-year-old Packard Stadium, which doesn’t have many of the amenities that major college baseball programs require.
But ASU and the Cubs have not yet reached a partnership deal and Smith admits the university is also considering a move to Phoenix Municipal Stadium, spring home to the Oakland Athletics.
“They have talked with Phoenix. That’s certainly an option for them if this does not happen,” Smith said.
He contends that playing in the new stadium would be a great deal for both teams.
“It’s a state-of-the-art facility.” Smith said. “ASU is getting into this arrangement with minimal capital outlay. … There’s also long-term benefits to the Cubs, as you bring all these tens of thousands of new hands on site, which helps them with their Wrigleyville investment.”
Wrigleyville would be an entertainment area, and would be built near the new stadium. It is named after the Cubs home stadium in Chicago, Wrigley Field.
Smith said negotiations are ongoing between the Cubs and ASU. Meanwhile, MLB.com reports the A’s are talking with Mesa about moving to Hohokam Stadium in 2015.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier