MESA, Ariz. — The new spring training home of the Chicago Cubs is starting to take shape.
Mesa Mayor Scott Smith said as he was flying into the Valley last week, he looked out the window and saw that construction on the stadium is moving right along.
“I saw outlines of fields and where the bowl of the stadium is going,” Smith said. “The dirt work is moving along very quickly. It won’t be long until we actually start pouring concrete and doing vertical on the construction of the Cubs’ training facility.”
The $99 million stadium near the Loop 101 and 202 freeways is set to open next year.
The big question is whether Arizona State University will join the Cubs there. The university wants to move its baseball program out of on-campus 40-year-old Packard Stadium, which doesn’t have many of the amenities that major college baseball programs require.
But ASU and the Cubs have not yet reached a partnership deal and Smith admits the university is also considering a move to Phoenix Municipal Stadium, spring home to the Oakland Athletics.
“They have talked with Phoenix. That’s certainly an option for them if this does not happen,” Smith said.
He contends that playing in the new stadium would be a great deal for both teams.
“It’s a state-of-the-art facility.” Smith said. “ASU is getting into this arrangement with minimal capital outlay. … There’s also long-term benefits to the Cubs, as you bring all these tens of thousands of new hands on site, which helps them with their Wrigleyville investment.”
Wrigleyville would be an entertainment area, and would be built near the new stadium. It is named after the Cubs home stadium in Chicago, Wrigley Field.
Smith said negotiations are ongoing between the Cubs and ASU. Meanwhile, MLB.com reports the A’s are talking with Mesa about moving to Hohokam Stadium in 2015.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food