TEMPE, Ariz. – Starting August 1, 2013, smokers will have to find another place to light up.
According to ASU’s official policy, “ASU recognizes that smoking is a public health hazard and is dedicated to providing a healthy, comfortable and productive living, learning and working environment for students, employees and visitors.”
The ban prohibits tobacco on “university property, facilities, grounds, parking structures, university-owned vehicles and structures owned or leased by the university,” as stated in that same policy.
University students have mixed reactions about the change. Freshman student Adam Olsen said there should be a compromise.
“Perhaps designated smoking areas instead of a full on ban. We should find common ground to accommodate both interests,” Olsen said.
Others students like Anna Miranda said they welcome the change because of exposure to secondhand smoke.
“I think it’s really good because I suffer with breathing problems and it interferes with my breathing,” Miranda said.
As of now, the policy requires staff and students to smoke in designated areas or be at least 25 feet from doorways, however some students claim many people don’t respect the boundaries.
According to American Nonsmokers’ Rights Foundation, “there are now at least 814 100% smoke-free campuses with no exemptions. Residential housing facilities are included, where they exist. Of these, 608 have a 100% tobacco-free policy.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier