TEMPE, Ariz. – Starting August 1, 2013, smokers will have to find another place to light up.
According to ASU’s official policy, “ASU recognizes that smoking is a public health hazard and is dedicated to providing a healthy, comfortable and productive living, learning and working environment for students, employees and visitors.”
The ban prohibits tobacco on “university property, facilities, grounds, parking structures, university-owned vehicles and structures owned or leased by the university,” as stated in that same policy.
University students have mixed reactions about the change. Freshman student Adam Olsen said there should be a compromise.
“Perhaps designated smoking areas instead of a full on ban. We should find common ground to accommodate both interests,” Olsen said.
Others students like Anna Miranda said they welcome the change because of exposure to secondhand smoke.
“I think it’s really good because I suffer with breathing problems and it interferes with my breathing,” Miranda said.
As of now, the policy requires staff and students to smoke in designated areas or be at least 25 feet from doorways, however some students claim many people don’t respect the boundaries.
According to American Nonsmokers’ Rights Foundation, “there are now at least 814 100% smoke-free campuses with no exemptions. Residential housing facilities are included, where they exist. Of these, 608 have a 100% tobacco-free policy.”
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona