PHOENIX — A Valley developer said he may have a solution that could preserve some of the city’s history.
The St. James and Madison hotels in downtown Phoenix sit just west of US Airways Center. Phoenix historians said the buildings date to at least the 1920s and want them preserved.
But the buildings are owned by the Phoenix Suns, who want to put valet parking at the site.
Developer Michael Levine has an idea that he thinks is a win-win.
“A cool approach would be to leave the back 20 feet of the building, and the front 45 feet of the building, and actually drive through the buildings,” Levine said. “I think they would become architectural icons, and would become a destination for people coming to downtown.”
The buildings can stay, while the Suns would have their parking.
While not commenting on these particular buildings, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said the Suns are involved in talks about the area near the arena.
“We want that area, over time, to come to life. To mix the old and the new,” Stanton said. “Other cities have created real economic development, and, eventually, I want the same thing to happen to Phoenix.”
There’s no word on whether Suns owner Robert Sarver will accept Levine’s proposal.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier