PHOENIX — A Valley developer said he may have a solution that could preserve some of the city’s history.
The St. James and Madison hotels in downtown Phoenix sit just west of US Airways Center. Phoenix historians said the buildings date to at least the 1920s and want them preserved.
But the buildings are owned by the Phoenix Suns, who want to put valet parking at the site.
Developer Michael Levine has an idea that he thinks is a win-win.
“A cool approach would be to leave the back 20 feet of the building, and the front 45 feet of the building, and actually drive through the buildings,” Levine said. “I think they would become architectural icons, and would become a destination for people coming to downtown.”
The buildings can stay, while the Suns would have their parking.
While not commenting on these particular buildings, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said the Suns are involved in talks about the area near the arena.
“We want that area, over time, to come to life. To mix the old and the new,” Stanton said. “Other cities have created real economic development, and, eventually, I want the same thing to happen to Phoenix.”
There’s no word on whether Suns owner Robert Sarver will accept Levine’s proposal.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food