PHOENIX — A Valley developer said he may have a solution that could preserve some of the city’s history.
The St. James and Madison hotels in downtown Phoenix sit just west of US Airways Center. Phoenix historians said the buildings date to at least the 1920s and want them preserved.
But the buildings are owned by the Phoenix Suns, who want to put valet parking at the site.
Developer Michael Levine has an idea that he thinks is a win-win.
“A cool approach would be to leave the back 20 feet of the building, and the front 45 feet of the building, and actually drive through the buildings,” Levine said. “I think they would become architectural icons, and would become a destination for people coming to downtown.”
The buildings can stay, while the Suns would have their parking.
While not commenting on these particular buildings, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said the Suns are involved in talks about the area near the arena.
“We want that area, over time, to come to life. To mix the old and the new,” Stanton said. “Other cities have created real economic development, and, eventually, I want the same thing to happen to Phoenix.”
There’s no word on whether Suns owner Robert Sarver will accept Levine’s proposal.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona