MESA, Ariz. – Body scanners have arrived at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
Advanced Imaging Technology is now being used to screen passengers there. The TSA’s Nico Melendez said the scanners will help to protect passengers from the latest threats.
“The latest threats are explosives which metal detectors have traditionally not been able to find,” Melendez said. “By introducing these to Mesa Gateway, it’s a demonstration that airports, no matter how big or how small, are important to the entire transportation system.”
The “backscatter” technology has been in use at the airport for a few days now. It uses x-ray beams to create a reflection of your body, then displays it on a monitor. A TSA screener then looks at the image to see if there are any signs of a weapon.
Melendez said privacy concerns with the technology have been addressed.
“We have a separate resolution room,” Melendez said. “Our security officer who is viewing the image has no interaction with the passenger who is being screened. Our technology doesn’t retain the image, and can’t print or transmit it. We think we’ve taken all of the steps necessary.”
If something turns up questionable on the image, the passenger goes through additional screening.
The technology is already in use at more than 190 airports nationwide, including Sky Harbor.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof