MESA, Ariz. – Body scanners have arrived at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
Advanced Imaging Technology is now being used to screen passengers there. The TSA’s Nico Melendez said the scanners will help to protect passengers from the latest threats.
“The latest threats are explosives which metal detectors have traditionally not been able to find,” Melendez said. “By introducing these to Mesa Gateway, it’s a demonstration that airports, no matter how big or how small, are important to the entire transportation system.”
The “backscatter” technology has been in use at the airport for a few days now. It uses x-ray beams to create a reflection of your body, then displays it on a monitor. A TSA screener then looks at the image to see if there are any signs of a weapon.
Melendez said privacy concerns with the technology have been addressed.
“We have a separate resolution room,” Melendez said. “Our security officer who is viewing the image has no interaction with the passenger who is being screened. Our technology doesn’t retain the image, and can’t print or transmit it. We think we’ve taken all of the steps necessary.”
If something turns up questionable on the image, the passenger goes through additional screening.
The technology is already in use at more than 190 airports nationwide, including Sky Harbor.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas