A nonprofit group hopes to shine light on the importance of mental health with the National Mental Health Screening Day.
“What we want to do is get people to identify this illness early on when it’s easier to treat so that they can have better outcomes,” said Katherine Cruise with Screening for Mental Health.
Symptoms of depression include increased appetite, insomnia and feelings of worthlessness.
“Depression affects nearly 19 million Americans each year. It’s a very common disorder, but it’s also treatable.”
Cruise hopes people will call a mental health professional to schedule a screening for depression.
“It’s important to note it’s not diagnostic. If you score positive, it just means you’re scoring positive for symptoms of depression,” said Cruise.
“The most important thing is that you should follow up with a health care provider for a more in-depth evaluation.”
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains