PHOENIX — Business was good for Mike Summers’ company, Top Quality Masonry, in Phoenix, a few years ago.
“There were quite a few skilled applicants at the time back when we were in the boom six, seven years ago,” Summers said.
Times have changed. The nonprofit Society of Manufacturing Engineers said blue-collar jobs such as masonry or plumbing aren’t popular anymore.
The group fears there could be as many as three million skilled-factory vacancies by 2015.
“I’m pretty active within the masonry contractor’s apprenticeship program for the last nine years,” Summers said. “Even the number of kids we have going into that program is way down.”
SME, based in Dearborn, Mich., blamed the shortage on an increase in four-year college applicants looking for white-collar jobs, as well as parents deterring their children from applying for technical jobs.
“Most trade fairs that we go to for the construction education programs, 90 percent of the parents say, ‘Well, we want our kids to go to college,’ ” Summers said.
SME said there a number of technical jobs that pay a decent salary. Welders, for example, are in demand and make an average about $48,000 a year.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them