PHOENIX — Business was good for Mike Summers’ company, Top Quality Masonry, in Phoenix, a few years ago.
“There were quite a few skilled applicants at the time back when we were in the boom six, seven years ago,” Summers said.
Times have changed. The nonprofit Society of Manufacturing Engineers said blue-collar jobs such as masonry or plumbing aren’t popular anymore.
The group fears there could be as many as three million skilled-factory vacancies by 2015.
“I’m pretty active within the masonry contractor’s apprenticeship program for the last nine years,” Summers said. “Even the number of kids we have going into that program is way down.”
SME, based in Dearborn, Mich., blamed the shortage on an increase in four-year college applicants looking for white-collar jobs, as well as parents deterring their children from applying for technical jobs.
“Most trade fairs that we go to for the construction education programs, 90 percent of the parents say, ‘Well, we want our kids to go to college,’ ” Summers said.
SME said there a number of technical jobs that pay a decent salary. Welders, for example, are in demand and make an average about $48,000 a year.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl