Rock star Bret Michaels officially unveiled the Bret Michaels’ Hospitality and Music Room for patients’ families inside St. Joseph’s Barrow Neurological Institute during a Tuesday ceremony.
Michaels, who was once a patient at St. Joe’s after suffering a massive stroke, thought families of the sick need to find a place to find comfort and relaxation.
“I was in ICU for 12 days,” the former Poison front man said. “Once you get about the sixth, seventh day in and you’re still in ICU, you know, I have two daughters, Kristy and the kids, they didn’t know where to go, and they’re trying to find a place. So hopefully, this lets people find a place to sit and take their brain off of it for a while.”
It took a year of planning and preparation, but the room is now open for families to enjoy. It’s located near patients’ rooms and decorated with a music theme and features many pieces of the rocker’s personal music memorabilia.
Meanwhile, Michaels said he’s about 95 percent back to normal after suffering the stroke back in 2010. It was a subarachnoid hemorrhage, a type of stroke that causes bleeding in the fluid-filled spaces around the base of the brain.
Michaels returned to St. Joseph’s in 2011 to undergo a heart procedure to close a hole in his heart. Since his treatment in Phoenix, Michaels has enjoyed successful national concert tours.
“I still go through therapy to get a few things fixed, but I feel so blessed to be alive that the rest is icing on the cake. I feel great,” he said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier