Rock star Bret Michaels officially unveiled the Bret Michaels’ Hospitality and Music Room for patients’ families inside St. Joseph’s Barrow Neurological Institute during a Tuesday ceremony.
Michaels, who was once a patient at St. Joe’s after suffering a massive stroke, thought families of the sick need to find a place to find comfort and relaxation.
“I was in ICU for 12 days,” the former Poison front man said. “Once you get about the sixth, seventh day in and you’re still in ICU, you know, I have two daughters, Kristy and the kids, they didn’t know where to go, and they’re trying to find a place. So hopefully, this lets people find a place to sit and take their brain off of it for a while.”
It took a year of planning and preparation, but the room is now open for families to enjoy. It’s located near patients’ rooms and decorated with a music theme and features many pieces of the rocker’s personal music memorabilia.
Meanwhile, Michaels said he’s about 95 percent back to normal after suffering the stroke back in 2010. It was a subarachnoid hemorrhage, a type of stroke that causes bleeding in the fluid-filled spaces around the base of the brain.
Michaels returned to St. Joseph’s in 2011 to undergo a heart procedure to close a hole in his heart. Since his treatment in Phoenix, Michaels has enjoyed successful national concert tours.
“I still go through therapy to get a few things fixed, but I feel so blessed to be alive that the rest is icing on the cake. I feel great,” he said.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona